Sunday, November 22, 2009

Men and their (N)anga-vastras

This is exclusively for women and men who are capable of laughing at themselves


Once I had gone to my colleague’s house. While chatting I observed that she was a little grumpy ( angry is the right word). When asked, she said that the cause was her hubby. She said that she had been bombarded by uninvited guests (uninvited meant that they had no time to prepare themselves for the attack which includes dressing up decently). She was particularly cut up with her husband who ended up receiving them with his checked Lungi with partition (I gathered that the lungis are stitched together to stop them from opening up at the right moment)

She said that her husband was gleefully yapping with the guests, oblivious of the lungi occasionally flying in sync with the breeze.

Of course once they left she had admonished him but he said that he was unaware of the flying lungi.
Her contention was that how anyone can be unaware when one can feel the chill inside through the slit?

She was not talking to him for his bad behavior. (Otherwise he is a thorough gentleman)

All men are like that, at least some, I assured her. (Sorry guys)

I had an uncle who used to fold his dhoti three or four folds till it went up almost to his hips. He was gutsy enough to climb stairs, attic and what not with his sad attire. God bless the people who stay put on the ground. I remember my aunt always shouting at him. Probably she was fed up with his antics.

There are others who have this habit of opening up the dhoti (a la kajol in the song mere khwabon mein jo aaye from dilwale dulhania le jayenge) and tying it back again much to the annoyance of the audience ( especially females). They do it so many times that you feel like telling them to use a belt instead

There are shirtless men (reason they say is: too sultry) with/without janivara or the sacred thread, moving unnecessarily in and out of the house. Shirtless men do not keep their hands to themselves but instead of wasting their time they pat and scratch themselves as though it is no man’s land. And to top it all, these men do all these things when they are in conversation with the others.

And then, there are these men who answer the door bell first with their shortest outfit (may be a brief) and then run inside to wear something decent.

I have seen men who are in their towels before going for a bath walking briskly attending to last minute chores like shaving. Though you might not be interested in watching them, I am sure many of us are under the constant stress/ fear that the towel may give way anytime due to the violent walkathon.



Oil massaging men get on my nerves. These types of men wear shortest possible outfit and massage their bodies and roam around for long hours for better effect of the massage.

I can go on and on about men and their antics but let me stop before any lungi-man comes charging at me.

1 comment:

Sudhi said...

Just when I wanted to read more of the mens' antics - you stopped. I would love to hear more of it....because your observations are true to word...consider a posting #2 on this topic.